Tuesday, April 21, 2009

an outsider's perspective of friday's class

Having read over a few people's blogs about Friday's class, I felt like I should talk about my experience with it, since I was outside of class. 400 miles outside of class actually. It was a really strange feeling knowing that from that far away I was getting the same class experience that everyone else was, since everyone was only plurking. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much if I were actually sitting in class, thinking about how I didn't really need to come to class that day.

The thing about plurking through class is that it doesn't have a centralized concept or theme or idea. Some may say this is a good thing, but it's been challenging to gain from this class when I can't ever put my finger on what the point of the class is, or what the central concept is. I like plurk because i can find a conversation topic that i'm interested in and comment on it, and I don't have to participate in the threads that don't interest me. Unlike in class, where if the discussion is about something you don't care about or don't want to talk about, you still have to be a part of it, even if that just means sitting there listening.

I definitely contributed more to class via plurk from 400 miles away than I would have had I actually been in class during a verbal discussion. It's a little unnerving not being able to match a face with the screen names i'm having a conversation with, but i'm getting used to it. okay this blog is kinda boring, but i'm gonna read this afternoon and hopefully be inspired to write more. the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment